New life (?)

We had youth confirmation this past Sunday. It made me think back to my confirmation (both of them). I know that baptism gives us the Holy Spirit and thus new life, or a new nature that desires to do good/follow God's law, but after Sunday and thinking of where I've been and what I've come through I feel that the new life is finally realized (if that's the right word). I don't know if it's just difference between the past teaching and now - there wasn't a lot of "here's the Bible and that's why we believe xyz" when I was growing up. My Catholic upbringing feels like a past life, I hardly remember any of it. It could be it was just that long ago, not sure - I remember bits and pieces of catechism classes, and of course First Communion and Confirmation but nothing of any real substance from what I was taught.

Baptism starts us on the path of that new life in Jesus, but living it out (as best as we can because our sinful nature doesn't go away) feels to me that it comes at different times or shows itself differently depending on the person. It might just have to do with upbringing: if from a young age, someone is taught of the Bible, that faith in Jesus is the only way to salvation, receiving the means of grace, etc then they may live out that new life/goodness earlier that someone who learns of those things later in life. I may be way off here, but that's how it seems to me after looking back on my life and seeing how I live now as opposed to up to just a few years ago.

I don't know - that's my take on it.. thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't know

Addiction

30 days