Taming the tongue

James 3:5-8 "Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

This was part of my devotional reading with my daughter Ember last night, after reading it, she wanted to read the 'Living It' reference from her Bible. It said to count to three and think 'bit, rudder, spark' to yourself before saying something that could be mean or hurtful. We hadn't read the whole passage related to this side note, but it's fitting to something I struggle with. I am in the habit of talking negatively about people at work, mostly not to their face (not that this makes it any better) or yelling at my kids over the smallest things. 

I told Ember situations to use this thought, and she got it, I also brought it to her level by telling her that it's something I could stand to do as well before I yell at her or her sister about something. I may not always remember to do it, but it's a start to get to a point where I engage my brain before my mouth. That's not always easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't know

Addiction

30 days